Saturday, March 2, 2013

Let us escape from museum

      Gamification, as I quoted from Gamification, is a novice education which typically involves applying game design thinking to non-game applications to make them more fun and engaging. Gamification has been called one of the most important trends in technology by several industry experts. Gamification can potentially be applied to any industry and almost anything to create fun and engaging experiences, converting users into players.
      Teacher could use language games to enhance the interesting of learning. And students usually remember very well the knowledge they have learned via playing games.
      The game I choose today is an escape game---Museum Escape. Firstly, I tried to play the game without walkthrough. Then I found I was too positive about my escaping ability. I just could not get out of the museum. So I opened Museum Escape Walkthrough and read the instruction carefully. Then I played the game twice with a lot of fun.
      Because it is not a very difficult game which we have to admit. If I am an English teacher and try to employ the game to facilitate my students, I think the objective must be vocabulary. Even for me--an advanced L2 learner, I still learned some new words and phrases I am not familiar with. Traditional English words learning, especially in China in which the English education system is test-taking system, is reciting words and remember them. If students cannot remember them, teachers will tell them they should repeat more and more to engrave English words in their brains. I am not going to say it is a bad method. But it is better if students recite words after they understand words and can visualize words. The game provide students with great 3D pictures to visualize words. It also trigger the curiosity and ambition of winning of students, they will try their best to remember these words because they want to win. And there are different kinds of escape games online. Specific to this game, I think it s helpful for students to learn knowledge about museum and history.
      The teacher can play the role as man-made walkthrough. Because the whole walkthrough sheet may be a little bit difficult for low level students to follow. Teachers can give instruction and hints. After all, it is a game. Teachers, in my opinion, are not willing to daunt students and strike their self-confidence. I will definitely give my students walkthrough. I will prompt them with hints consistently. I hope I can use equipment like computer to play the game with students in the classroom. I prefer dynamic pictures than still pictures. For assessment part, I would like to use a competition to see whether my students have learned words. I can group them and organize a competition. At last, I will reward the winning team for their cooperation and endeavor.

1 comment:

  1. Your ideas for using this game for vocabulary learning sound good. When the students need the vocabulary to understand the walk-through, it may help them retain it.

    ReplyDelete